Miss Alabamas have performed strongly at the Miss America pageant, particularly in the early 21st century, when the state produced their third Miss America, a first runner-up, a second runner-up, a fourth runner-up, two semi-finalists, and one quarter-finalist.
They did very well in the 1980s, as well, placing 1st runner-up to Miss America 1981, 3rd runner-up 1983, 2nd runner-up 1984, 4th runner-up 1986, top 10 1987, and 4th runner-up 1989. Miss Alabama was also 1st runner-up to Miss America 1979.
Alabama has won three Miss America titles: Deidre Downs for 2005, Heather Whitestone (the first deaf woman to win the Miss America crown) for 1994, and Yolande Betbeze in 1951. Betbeze is well known as the Miss America who refused to pose in a swimsuit, causing swimsuit sponsors Catalina Swimwear to pull out and start the Miss USA pageant.
The year in brackets indicates the year of the Miss America competition the award/placement was garnered.
* 2nd runners-up: Frances Dorn (1945), Martha Ann Ingram (1948), Anne Stuart Ariail (1957), Pam Battles (1984), Alexa Jones (2006)
* 3rd runners-up: Peggy Elder (1947), Gwen Harmon (1953), Virginia McDavid (1954), Yolanda Fernandez (1983), Alison McCreary (1997)
* Semi-finalists: Tommy Marie Peck (1936), Mildred Oxford (1938), Florine Holt (1939), Virginia McGraw (1941), Marie Duncan (1942), Marilyn Tate (1955), Patricia Huddleston (1956), Lee Thornberry (1959), Teresa Rinaldi (1961), Delores Hodgens (1962), Judy Short (1964), Vickie Powers (1965), Linda Folsom (1966), Angie Grooms (1967), Dellynne Catching (1969), Angela Callahan (1987), Kalyn Chapman (1994), Leigh Sherer (1996), Julie Smith (Miss Alabama) (2000), Jana Sanderson (2001), Catherine Crosby (2004), Amanda Tapley (2009), Courtney Porter (2012), Anna Laura Bryan (2013), Caitlin Brunell (2015)
* Miss America award winners#Preliminary Swimsuit award: Virginia McGraw (1941), Marie Duncan (1942), Peggy Elder (1947), Yolande Betbeze (1951), Gwen Harmon (1953), Judy Short (1964), Dellynne Catching (1969), Teresa Cheatham (1979), Angela Tower (1986), Heather Whitestone (1995), Ashley Davis (2011)
* Miss America award winners#Preliminary Talent award: Frances Dorn (1945), Emma Dale Nunnally (1946), Jeanne Moody (1952), Patricia Huddleston (1956), Anne Stuart Ariail (1957), Lee Thornberry (1959), Teresa Rinaldi (1961), Judy Short (1964), Vickie Powers (1965), Linda Folsom (1966), Suzanne Dennie (1971), Teresa Cheatham (1979), Paige Phillips (1981), Heather Whitestone (1995)
* Non-finalist Talent: Anna Stange (1958), Betty Lindstrom (1960), Patricia Bonner (1963), Kathy Pickett (1979), Tammy Little (1985)
* Non-finalist Interview: Resha Riggins (1991)
* Finalists: Liz Cochran (2010)
* Miss Congeniality: Toula Hagestratou (1943), Melinda Toole (2007)
As with many other Miss America state pageants, delegates first must qualify by winning a local pageant. Local titles that have produced more than one Miss Alabama are:
* Succeeded to the crown after Miss Alabama won Miss America
* Miss Alabama official websiteCategory:1935 establishments in Alabama